Saturday, July 4, 2015

Sabado in Antigua

It was a beautiful day!

The kids had croissants from Dona Luisa....some plain and some jamon y queso!  We had bananas and fruit.  The amount of vitamin C I'm taking in should be doing something to handle the cold I seem to be getting.  I feel good but my throat hurts and I'm losing my voice...as if my Spanish isn't bad enough...now I sound like a monster who just finished smoking a pack of cigarettes.  





Tim took the girls over to the mercado this morning to buy them sandals while Krystal and I took the boys to the Artisans market.  Jake found a drum and a top.  TJ picked up a journal.  Krystal up some souveniers for gifts. Adam picked up a pair of BEATS headphones.  Jake and TJ each got a Mayan mask.  I picked up a blanket for a friend, and Krystal got one for herself.  We paid $18 blanket although in the market this afternoon they were trying to charge us $35 for the same thing.  I must look stupid.   I picked up a blanket made of cloth earlier this week for 200Q....they tried to sell me the same blanket today for 900Q.  I said 'pffft' and walked away.  We did walk over to get 10 soccer balls for donations.  We still need to pick up another 15.  They dropped to 300Q.  Irritates me!  After loading up, we headed back to the casa for lunch.  We had the leftovers from Cafe Sky and quesadillas!






We left here at noon to go to Antigua Tours to reserve a canopy tour for tomorrow.  We ran into the guy we bought the angels from yesterday.  He gave me a kiss on the cheek and asked if I wantedd to buy all of his angels.  I think we bought 6 more.  His grandson needs to help him add up the total everytime and we add another 10Q which only serves to confuse him.    Everyone I know is probably getting a wooden angel for Christmas.



Only Adam and Ethan are big enough to go on the long tour.  The rest of us are doing the short tour.  We leave at 9:30am.  We went to the Choco Museo for a chocolate making workshop.  We had a contest to see who could mash the chocolate beans the fastest and Krystal and TJ won.  We all got to make our own chocolates to bring home and eat.  Mine are coconut and pecan dark chocolate.  Tim's are sprinkles. :)  He's as bad as the kids. 




























After we left we hung out in Parque Central for awhile. The kids in the park were adorable.  Krystal got some bracelets made.  My girls got braids put in their hair.  I took some pictures of the kids while we waited.  They loved looking at photos of themselves.  They couldn't stop giggling.  One little kid squished his sisters little cheeks so she would look at the camera.  













We would up with a bunch of little lizards.  He originally quoted me 50Q and I said 'really?'  He said ok...10.  We bought 8 I think. :)  Then we found cotton candy.  5Q per bag.  6 for our kids...one for the little boy whose picture I took earlier...and 1 for another boy.  The cotton candy seller said 'ninos...ninas..' :)  I told him that was enough.  8 was good.  People here (and this is a generalization) are happy...I love all of the smiles.  

A little girl came up to sell Lily a headband...and I had no desire to buy one but she was Lily's age.  She wanted 25Q.  We gave her 35Q and got a photo.  Then a little boy came over...and I didn't need anything, but I wound up with another headband for another 35Q.


Tim and the kids picked up Dominos pizza for dinner and Krystal, Jake, TJ, Lily and I stopped by the Bodegona.  Crazy in there but we needed eggs, coffee and toilet paper.

We are back at the house now and the kids are enjoying the pool.  I think they would all agree it was a good day.



8 comments: