Friday, July 3, 2015

Fin de Semana!

Great day (again).  Time is passing so quickly.  I started the day spending an hour on the phone with work.  Was surprised to get a phone call at 5am Guatemala time.  Nice to know I can still be useful from afar!  But so much for sleeping in on my first day off!


Huevos y queso, fresas, y panqueques por desayuno!  Jake didn't feel good but I think that has more to do with the fact that the poor kid is exhausted.  He was up at 6am to study for Spanish.  We went through all of his flashcards this morning and he got them all correct.  I'm not sure how useful Octopus will be but he knows it!  

Tim and I walked the kids to school and then hit the new Scandinavia gym.  It's just a block over from the Antigua gym.  Good lord.  I have no idea how I am going to run a half marathon here in 2 weeks.  I ran 6 miles...but took 3 breaks.  Was keeping track of Krystal/Adam and TJ as well.  Their first flight was delayed...which was fine, but then for some reason, their landing time kept getting later, and later, and later....to the point where I was sure they were going to miss the next flight.  Luckily the second flight was delayed as well!

I had asked Houses to Homes if I could ride with the driver when he went to the airport, so I had to meet him in Parque Central in front of Cafe Condesa at noon.  Tim and I had enough time to go to the Bodegona and get some more cheese, chips, and juice.  I purchased another 6 pounds of strawberries ($2), a pineapple and some leechis.    I called Lily at 10:35 to find out how school was going and she answered with 'What?"  I asked what she was doing and she said 'I'm working mom...break was at 10...I need to go".  :)  We brought everything back to the house and I headed out to Cafe Condesa abnd Tim headed to pick the kids up.

I waited for Martin at Cafe Condesa until 12:30.  Gotta love Central American time.  We made it to Guat City in great time and he dropped me at the airport pickups to wait and he went to park.  He told me to call him when they arrived.

Every time I have been to Guatemala it freaks me out a bit to get to the arrivals area and see hordes of people...and not know where to go.  It was nice to be on the other side.  Not at all intimidating.  True about a lot I guess....once you have the other viewpoint, everything changes.





They zipped right on out, I called Marvin and we were off!  TJ gets carsick sometimes...and the 45 minute drive with diesel fuel didn't help.  Nevermind the fact that the reason the flight was so delayed was the storms in Atlanta so his first plane ride was a wee bit turbulent.  Martin pointed out Fuego when we arrived!  It was giving a little puff when we pulled into town!

We got to our Casa and I gave them a tour...and they tried Dona Luisa's bread and some of the fruit.  We then headed out to pick up Tim and the kids from school.  We walked through the market to price otu soccer balls.  Adam brought down some money to purchase them.  Thank you to everyone who donated.  We are super excited to hand them out next week.   We walked through a little bit of the Mercado...and then of course, past Little Caesers to see the machine gun guard.

Tim went with the kids to a chocolate factory today.  All I know is they gave home with sticks to make chocolate and some solid chocolate.  They have assured me that it will taste AMAZING.   I should have been filming when we showed up at PLFM.   Jake started doing a dance.  Both Adam and Ethan were smiling.  Ethan's teacher gave me a great big hug.  Grace had her hair braided and she got a little bag for her birthday as a gift from her teacher.They are all so sweet there.  The kids all have new teachers next week.  TJ will have the teacher Jake had last week.  Was nice to see the kids all so excited!

We started walking to Pollo Campero for dinner.  On the way we ran into a little old man selling wooden angels.  Krystal and I said 'we should have stopped'...so I went back and asked how much they were.  He said '15Q'.  He had 3 teeth.  He had 3 angels.  I gave him a 50 and wished him a good afternoon.  Seriously.  $2 each.  They aren't  perfect but that's what makes them wonderful.


We changed our mind and decided to go to Sky Cafe again.  We went past Dona Luisa bakery to pick up some crescent rolls.  3 plain and 3 ham and cheese. :)  Fuego was puffling a bit while we ate...and as always, the food was excellent and I'm addicted to the strawberry/pineapple smoothies.







We came home so the kids could swim.  So glad our friends are here!  Love watching the kids point out things to their friends...and use their Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment